June in Your Garden
JUNE IN YOUR GARDEN
Each month we keep you up-to-date on what you should be seeding, weeding and feeding in your garden. And we’ve made it easier for you! Find all of our recommend products for this month together, in one area in our shop under the This Month In Your Garden banner! If you have trouble finding it, please ask one of our cashiers to locate it for you!
✔ For garden-wide growth, apply E.B. Stone Organics All-Purpose Plant Food 5-5-5!
✔ It's time to thin your fruit trees! Check out this helpful video from our growers, Dave Wilson Nursery on their tips for thinning: How to Thin a Fruit Tree.
✔ Give your vegetable gardens a deep watering so roots can reach several feet below the surface. Watering longer and less often will help your plants thrive in summer.
✔ Apply 3-4" of mulch to your flower and vegetable beds to keep them weed-free and to prevent moisture loss (and less watering for us!). We recommend applying Black Forest, now BUY 3 GET 1 FREE! (Thru 6/1- 6/30 only.)
✔ Beneficial insects are in! Ask our cashiers for ladybugs, praying mantis, red wiggler worms and beneficial nematodes!
✔ Don't forget to lather the sunscreen and grab a hat before heading out into the garden. We have a wide selection of hats available in the Garden Shop and Atrium!
✔ Don't forget to check your irrigation and fix any leaks! The heat is on its way!
✔Father's Day is Sunday, June 17th! For the dad with the green thumb, shop our selection of fruit trees, Bonsai, succulents and cacti and water plants for a weekend gardening project that the both of you will enjoy for years! For those hard-to-shop-for dads who claim they don't need a thing, visit the Lazy K for their Dad Day essentials! Having a hard time deciding? Gift a gift card and let him pick out exactly what he wants!
- Make your garden pop this summer with beautiful Peruvian lilies, clematis, hydrangeas, dahlias and salvias. Visit us today and get planting!
- Plant tasty herbs for use this summer at your backyard BBQs - rosemary, mint, basil and more!
- For summer color, plant petunias, marigolds, zinnias, impatiens, begonias, geraniums, gerbera daisies and calibrachoa. Garden's Gate is overflowing with color, and hanging baskets- all perfect to plant in your garden today!
- Early this month, we still have a great selection of just about every summer veggie! Hurry in and let's get planting before it's too late!
- Yellowing foliage on camellias and azaleas is often due to a lack of iron. Give your acids lovers a boost with Master Nursery Azalea, Camellia, Gardenia and Rhododendron Food 4-8-5. If you still aren't seeing an improvement, apply F.S.T. Iron & Sulfur.
- For your potted plants and flowers, feed them a dose of E.B. Stone Organics Ultra Bloom 0-10-10 for beautiful blooms into summer! Don't forget to deadhead, this will promote continual flowering too!
- It's time to feed your citrus. We recommend Master Nursery's Citrus Food 12-8-4 to promote fruit and green growth.
- Give your hanging baskets an application of Liquid Gold Fertilizer 15-6-3 now. This formula is a soil penetrant and also contains iron, zinc, manganese.
TREAT & PROTECT
- Rid your yard of poison oak and all other weeds with Fertilome's Weed Killer, find it in our Garden Shop.
- Catch the Queen! Set your traps out now and spare the headache of those buzzing pests! Our shop is stocked with different choices on traps, perfect if you need a refill, a new trap or something disposable for picnics and camping trips!
- Guard against grubs in your lawn with Bayer Advanced Season Long Grub Control Plus Turf Revitalizer. The formula creates a season-long barrier that will kill grubs before they do any damage. Apply anytime now through late summer; our 12 lb. bag will cover up to 5,000 sq. ft. The Grub Control also contains a 6-0-1 fertilizer that promotes thicker root mass for tougher turf. Check out Long Live Your Lawn: Grub Guide for more tips.
- Treat for citrus leaf minor now before the damage is done to your lush foliage! As unsightly tunnels in young leaves result in loss of hardiness and vigor, we recommend treating with Captain Jack’s Organic Deadbug Brew now through July to prevent damage in August. Apply to your citrus 6 to 10 days apart and wait a minimum of 1 day before harvesting. Containing Spinosad, a natural bacterium first discovered in an old rum distillery in the Caribbean, Captain Jack’s is safe around children and pets.
- Reduce your water usage this summer with an application of Hydretain. The blend of humectin and hygroscopic compounds adheres the free moisture in the soil to the roots of your plant. Hydretain not only keeps your plants wilt-free, but contributes to more water intake from rainfall and irrigation throughout the season. Available in both liquid and granular form, apply the formula and water in deeply for roughly 15-20 minutes for 3 days to bond Hydretain to the roots. Reapply the formula once every 3 months; one quart treats up to 3,500 square feet. Questions? Our knowledgeable staff is here to help you keep your garden green through summer!
- Apply our natural Caterpillar Killer Spray with Bt (Bacillus Thuringensis) to treat against budworm and hornworm on your roses, tomatoes and annuals. This formula is safe around humans, pets and our beneficial insects.
- After all the rains we had, slugs and snails will be out en masse. We recommend using Monterey’s Sluggo or Sluggo Plus to protect young tender growth of flowers and vegetables.
Have a question specific to your garden? Come visit us at the nursery and speak with one of our certified nursery professionals!