If you’re new to gardening or need a refresher, here are five easy steps to starting your own edible garden, recommend by our Bedding Manager, Randall Barnes.
- Vegetables require at least 6 hours of sun daily.
- Be aware of the shade created by trees, buildings and other structures.
- Create healthy soil for vegetable growing by ensuring proper drainage and incorporating lots of organic matter. We recommend amending your soil with Master Nursery’s Paydirt prior to planting to help loosen our clay soil and increase moisture. Add one bag per 50 square feet.
- Select a site close to a walkway or house so you can visit it each day to weed, water and harvest.
- Have a water source close by.
- Start small and enlarge as you feel more comfortable and learn more about the dynamics of your garden.
- Use a container that is easy and convenient for you to have on a sunny patio.
- Grow what you like to eat.
- Grow a fun variety of vegetables, edible flowers and herbs. The combination will give the garden a completed look, no matter its size.
We can't wait for summer veggies to arrive! Get started planning your vegetable garden by viewing our list of what Warm Season Veggies you can expect to find in the nursery in April!