March In Your Garden
MARCH IN YOUR GARDEN
Each month we keep you up-to-date on what you should be seeding, weeding and feeding in your garden. And we’ve made it easier for you! Find all of our recommend products for this month together, in one area in our shop under the This Month In Your Garden banner! If you have trouble finding it, please ask one of our cashiers to locate it for you!
✔ For all your new plantings, we always recommend applying E.B. Stone Organics Sure Start 4-6-2 for healthy roots and shoots! 1 easy application that gets your plants started off right!
✔ Paydirt is now Buy 3 Get 1 Free thru April 30th! Recommended for your veggies, roses and bedding plantings, get your garden spring ready today!
✔ Bonus Bucks! It's that time of the year again, come in and start earning! Shop during March and April and earn $1 in Bonus Bucks for every $10 you spend. Hold on to these bucks (we recommend keeping them in your glove box!) to redeem them in July, at face value, for up to 50% of your purchase.
PLANT NOW: COLOR & FRAGRANCE
- For a summer bouquet, plant dahlias, asiatic lily and gladiolus bulbs this month.
- Don't forget about our Peony selection, they're just leafing out now but will be flowering come May!
- Choose from our huge selection of roses! Be sure to check out our Bareroot 101 for planting tips and tricks and remember, at this point we recommend planting the rose and pulp pot into the ground directly as to not disturb their root growth!
- Fill in with instant color from our Bedding Department! Plant annual flowers such Iceland poppies, pansies, violas, ranunculus and primulas to name a few. They will give color all spring long!
- Find our hardy shrubs and trees displayed throughout the nursery including magnolias, dogwoods and soon to be flowering lilacs and snowflake viburnums.
PLANT NOW: EDIBLES
- Eager for tomatoes, eggplant and peppers? (They'll be arriving April 1st, weather dependent!) Start seeds indoors in bright light and on a heat mat or in a greenhouse to speed germination. When seedlings are ready to go outside (in six to eight weeks), plant them and drape with floating row covers to speed growth.
- Potatoes, easy to grow with a bountiful harvest! Find our selection near the back door of the shop and check out our Planting Guide for tips.
- Select and plant fruit trees including newly arrived citrus! Our Bareroot 101 will give you tips and tricks for planting.
- Plant asparagus, horseradish, artichokes and rhubarb.
- Plant delectable strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, currants, olives, kiwis, figs and pomegranates.
- If you haven’t already, it’s time to prune your roses. Once pruning is complete, be sure to feed them!
- Prune your woody shrubs such as butterfly bush, fuchsia, Mexican sage and artemisia to stimulate new sturdy growth.
- Give your deciduous fruit trees a prune! We prune in the winter to stimulate new growth whereas summer pruning helps to keep trees small.
- Prune your evergreen shrubs and hedges such as boxwood so new spring growth fills them out quickly.
FEED, TREAT & PROTECT
- Your plants are starting to grow, time to apply a general fertilizer for all your plants! We recommend using either Master Nursery's Multi-Purpose Fertilizer 16-16-16 or E.B. Stone Organics All Purpose Plant Food 5-5-5.
- Time to feed your citrus! We recommend using Master Nursery's Citrus Food 12-8-4. If you're noticing any yellow leaves, add Iron Plus!
- Catch the Queen! Set your traps out now and spare the headache of those buzzing pests! Our shop is stocked with different choices on traps, perfect if you need a refill, a new trap or something disposable for picnics and camping trips!
- Time to take care of the weeds, they're growing just as fast as everything else in your garden! Apply High-Yield Weed Killer 15-0-10 or Fertilome Weed-Out RTU to control and prevent pesky weeds in your garden.
- Spray Fertilome Copper Fungicide on peaches and nectarines to prevent peach leaf curl. Then from bud break to petal drop (about a month long), spray Copper Fungicide once a week, for a total of four sprays.
- After all the rains we had, slugs and snails will be out en masse. We recommend using Monterey’s Sluggo or Sluggo Plus to protect young tender growth of flowers and vegetables.
Have a question specific to your garden? Come visit us at the nursery and speak with one of our certified nursery professionals!