May in Your Garden
MAY IN YOUR GARDEN
Each month we keep you up-to-date on what you should be seeding, weeding and feeding in your garden. And we’ve made it easier for you! Find all of our recommend products for this month together, in one area in our shop under the This Month In Your Garden banner! If you have trouble finding it, please ask one of our cashiers to locate it for you!
✔Mother's Day is Sunday, May 13th! Visit our rose section for something fragrant, the Atrium for an orchid garden, the Custom Container Patio for a gorgeous planted arrangement and the Lazy K for jewelry, cookbooks and essentials for her! Having a hard time deciding? Gift a gift card and let her pick out exactly what she wants!
✔ For all your new plantings, we always recommend applying E.B. Stone Organics Sure Start 4-6-2 for healthy roots and shoots! 1 easy application that gets your plants started off right! Once your plants are rocking in their new home, feed them with E.B. Stone Organics All-Purpose Plant Food 5-5-5 to maintain healthy growth all season long!
✔ Buy 3 Get 1 Free! This month only, shop 3 bags of Pro-Potting Soil (in 2 cubic foot size only) and E.B. Stone Organics Raised Bed Potting Mix and get 1 free! Stop in, this special promotion makes it the perfect month to plant in containers and raised beds! *Pro-Potting Soil in 2 cu. ft. only, no mix and match, on sale thru May 31st and while supplies last.
✔ When planting your veggies and roses, remember to amend your soil with Paydirt, rich in chicken manure, redwood sawdust, peat moss and mushroom compost. Amendments help transform our native clay soils into healthy homes for our plants; they add organic matter to the soil, helping to loosen soil structure, improve water and root penetration and enhance bacterial action of the soil.
✔ Beneficial insects have arrived! Ask our cashiers for ladybugs, praying mantis, red wiggler worms and beneficial nematodes!
✔ Check out our new Flexilla hose, just measure, cut and assemble for an easy-made custom length hose! This new hose features all-weather flexibility, kink resistance and it's available in lengths up to 250 feet - that's a whole lotta hose! Fitted hose ends sold separately, find it near the Outside Shop!
✔ Don't forget to check your irrigation and fix any leaks! The heat is on its way!
PLANT NOW: COLOR & FRAGRANCE
- Time to pick your Peony! Now that they're in bloom it's the perfect time to pick your favorite to bring home and enjoy in your garden!
- Stop and smell the roses, literally! You can't miss our roses, now in spectacular bloom on your right as you come down the hill. Choose from our huge selection of roses! Be sure to check out our Bareroot 101 for planting tips and remember, at this point we recommend planting the rose and pulp pot into the ground directly as to not disturb their root growth!
- Fill in with instant color from our Bedding Department! Plant annual flowers such as petunias, impatiens, zinnias, celosia and marigolds -great summer color!
- Spread seeds of flowers for beautiful blooms! Easy to do, shop our selection of nasturtiums, sunflowers, zinnias, alyssum, lobelia, cosmos and more!
PLANT NOW: EDIBLES
- Shop our selection of tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, corn, pumpkins and more! Through the season we will be bringing in the best of the best each week! Check out our Herb List for more info on each herb including growing habits and pairings! Don't forget to fertilize all your newly planted veggies with E.B. Stone Organics Tomato & Vegetable Food 4-5-3.
- Select and plant fruit trees including citrus and avocados! Our Bareroot 101 will give you tips and tricks for planting.
- Plant delectable strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and blueberries.
- Your plants are starting to grow, time to apply a general fertilizer for all your plants! We recommend using either Master Nursery's Multi-Purpose Fertilizer 16-16-16 or E.B. Stone Organics All-Purpose Plant Food 5-5-5.
- For all your hanging baskets, apply Liquid Gold Fertilizer 15-6-3 now. This formula is a soil penetrant and also contains iron, zinc, manganese.
- Time to feed your citrus! We recommend using Master Nursery's Citrus Food 12-8-4. If you're noticing any yellow leaves, add Iron Plus!
- Once your camellias and azaleas have bloomed, remove spent flowers and serve them up an application of Master Nursery's Camellia, Azalea, Gardenia & Rhododendron Food 4-8-5 and F.S.T. Iron & Sulfur. It's time to feed all acid-lovers including blueberries!
TREAT & PROTECT
- Catch the Queen! Set your traps out now and spare the headache of those buzzing pests! Our shop is stocked with different choices on traps, perfect if you need a refill, a new trap or something disposable for picnics and camping trips!
- Take care of citrus leaf miner this month! We’re a big fan of Captain Jack's Organic Deadbug Brew for its effectiveness on leaf miner and other pests including thrips, aphids, caterpillars, spider mites and more. Use it to treat your pest problems this month. Did we mention it is safe around children and pets, too?
- Guard against grubs in your lawn with Bayer Advanced Season Long Grub Control Plus Turf Revitalizer. The formula creates a season-long barrier that will kill grubs before they do any damage. Apply anytime now through late summer; our 12 lb. bag will cover up to 5,000 sq. ft. The Grub Control also contains a 6-0-1 fertilizer that promotes thicker root mass for tougher turf. Check out Long Live Your Lawn: Grub Guide for more tips.
- Reduce your water usage this summer with an application of Hydretain. The blend of humectin and hygroscopic compounds adheres the free moisture in the soil to the roots of your plant. Hydretain not only keeps your plants wilt-free, but contributes to more water intake from rainfall and irrigation throughout the season. Available in both liquid and granular form, apply the formula and water in deeply for roughly 15-20 minutes for 3 days to bond Hydretain to the roots. Reapply the formula once every 3 months; one quart treats up to 3,500 square feet. Questions? Our knowledgeable staff is here to help you keep your garden green through summer!
- Apply our natural Caterpillar Killer Spray with Bt (Bacillus Thuringensis) to treat against budworm and hornworm on your roses, tomatoes and annuals. This formula is safe around humans, pets and our beneficial insects.
- Time to take care of the weeds, they're growing just as fast as everything else in your garden! Apply High-Yield Weed Killer 15-0-10 or Fertilome Weed-Out RTU to control and prevent pesky weeds in your garden.
- After all the rains we had, slugs and snails will be out en masse. We recommend using Monterey’s Sluggo or Sluggo Plus to protect young tender growth of flowers and vegetables.
Have a question specific to your garden? Come visit us at the nursery and speak with one of our certified nursery professionals!