October In Your Garden
✔ Select and refrigerate Tulips and Hyacinth for 4-6 weeks and then plant outside when weather turns cold or around Thanksgiving weekend.
✔ To keep hydrangeas blue or change their color from pink to blue, treat with Master Nursery Hydra Blue.
✔ Protect cabbage family vegetables from cabbage worms with Monterey BT Catepillar Killer a safe biological control.
- Sow wildflower and spring annual seeds for spring growth.
- Select and plant spring blooming bulbs such as Iris, freesia daffodils this month and next.
- Plant onion, garlic and shallot sets (bulbs) this month and next for harvest next summer.
- Plant sweet peas from seed or transplant for late winter blooms.
- Apply Master Bloom 0-10-10 to your citrus monthly through March to strengthen flower and fruit production.
- Feed gardenias, azaleas, camellias and rhododendrons with Master Bloom 0-10-10 food monthly for flower bud development. Roses, lilacs and all flowering plants including citrus and other fruit trees will also benefit.
- To prevent spring weeds such as oxalis and annual blue grass in the landscape or lawn apply the pre-emergent Bonide Crabgrass & Weed Preventer.