This Month In Your Garden
- There is still time to start seeds of tomatoes, eggplant and peppers indoors in bright light and on a heat mat to speed germination. Seedlings will be ready to go outside in six to eight weeks.
- In the vegetable garden, plant seeds of carrots, beets, swiss chard, chives, collards, lettuce, cabbage, radishes and onions.
- Plant potatoes, asparagus, horse radish, artichokes and rhubarb.
- Plant strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, currants, olives, kiwis, figs, and pomegranates.
- Plant summer-blooming bulbs such as dahlias, begonias and gladiolus to name a few.
- Plant 6-packs or 4 inch starts of pansies, violas and primulas to enjoy beautiful flowers through June.
- Prune camellias and azaleas after their blooms have faded. Then, feed them with Master’s Camellia Azalea and Gardenia Food or Garden Elements Organic Camellia Azalea and Gardenia Food and Iron Plus.
- Feed, Feed, Feed: Fertilize all your plants to bring on more lush spring growth. An easy solution for landscape shrubs and trees is Master’s Formula 49. For citrus and avocado, feed Master’s Citrus Food or Garden Elements Organic Citrus Food. For fruit trees, berries and vines, feed Master’s Fruit Tree &Vine Food or Garden Elements Organic Fruit Tree & Vine Food. If you have not fed your roses yet, do it now with Master’s Rose & Flower Food or Garden Elements Organic Rose & Flower Food. To encourage new canes on your roses, feed Alfalfa Meal.
- Set out yellow jacket traps early in the month to catch the queen before she starts her family and builds her nest.
- Continue to set out snail bait to keep the population down.
- Set out coddling moth traps in your apple and fruit trees to alert you to when the moths are laying eggs. Two weeks after spotting the moth in the trap, spray with Captain Jacks at 10 to 14 day intervals, two or three times.
- Spray Bonide's Organic Copper Fungicide on peaches and nectarines to prevent peach leaf curl. Then, from bud break to petal drop (about a month long), spray Copper Fungicide once a week, for a total of four sprays.